Trailer Brake Controller Adapter
A Cayenne with optional equipment no. 1D6 will come with a Trailer hitch receiver and wiring up to the receiver hitch that includes a control unit to operate the trailer parking lights, turn signals and brake lights. The Cayenne is also pre-wired for a brake controller. You will need to do the following to hook up the trailer electrics and/or an electric brake controller:
- Check the programming of the trailer control unit
- Obtain a plug connector that adapts the vehicle trailer harness to the trailer electrical plug
- Obtain a brake controller (locally sourced) if the trailer has electric brakes
- Obtain four connectors and one plug housing from the Cayenne connector kit
1. Check the coding of the trailer control unit. First hook up the PIWIS Tester and scan all of the control units. If there are faults in the vehicle electrical control unit, the trailer control unit will not work. Check the nature of the faults, repair and clear the fault memory of that control unit first. Next select the trailer control unit. It should be coded to USA and With detachable trailer hitch or Trailer connection device.
2. Obtain a connector that adapts the vehicles trailer harness to the trailer electrical plug. Refer to Parts Information Bulletin Group 9, #D10 "Cayenne Trailer Plug & Adapter" for more information.
3. Obtain a brake controller if the trailer has electric brakes. The plug for the brake controller is prewired into the Cayenne's harness. It is located above the parking brake pedal in 9PA and above the OBDII connector in 92A. Note that the plug may be covered in foam from the factory. See Figures 1 and 2.
3.1 Reference the applicable Wiring Diagram when installing a brake controller. Make sure the vehicles electrical connections match that of the brake controller.
3.2 9PA: Fuse F19 (30A) in the right side dashboard fuse panel supplies power to the brake controller. 92A: Fuse F5 (25A) in the right side dashboard fuse panel supplies power to the brake controller.
3.3 Obtain the connector kit shown on this page. Install the wire connectors on the brake controller wires then install into plug housing.
3.4 Plug in brake controller into the vehicles brake controller connector.
- Cayenne models 2003-2005. The maximum output for the trailer lights is 50 watts.
- 2006-2007 models have a maximum output of 100 watts.
- 2008-10 have the capability of utilizing LED trailer light technology.
- All control units are backwards compatible, meaning the newest control unit is compatible with the oldest vehicle.
- If you are installing a hitch kit, the trailer hitch mounting bolts must be re-torqued after the first 300 miles of operation.
Fits 2003-2010 Cayenne models with the factory tow package.
Comes with wires and plug as shown in the first photo. Information shown is for reference only, consult a qualified Porsche technician. Use this information at your own risk.